Sri Lanka’s west coast covers the coastal belt from Negombo all the way down to Bentota. The West coast offers broad tropical golden beaches all along. The west coast’s traditional beach hotels first began to spring up in the 1960s, and have become a significant factor in the island’s economy. Earlier few centuries back Bentota, and Kalutara was an important spice trading centre.
Locations Featured Under North West Coast
We have featured following beaches as the west coast, Negombo, Mt Lavinia, Beruwala, Aluthgama, Bentota, Kosgoda, Ahungalle and Ambalangoga.
Attractions not to miss in the West Coast
- Sunbathing and wide selection of hotels to suit your budget.
- Water sports in Bentota
- Stroll through Bevis Bawa’s the (famous architect) Brief gardens in Bentota
- Colombo City Tour
- Visit the Kosgoda’s marine turtle conservation center
- Boat ride down mangrove-filled rivers in Lunu Ganga, Bentota River or Madhu river in Balapitiya
- Visit to the world heritage Galle fort in the South 72 KM from Bentota – More details on South Coast Section.
Best period to Travel
The West coast’s peak holiday season is from late November to April. During this period the weather is at its best with calm blue sea. Sri Lanka is affected by two monsoons.
October to mid-December can see heavy rain brought in by the north-east monsoon, with the south-west monsoon bringing heaviest downpours from mid-April to mid-June east. In a nut shell South west season is from end November to April. June to October would be the best period to travel to East and North East.
Ambalangoda is famous for its mask carvers and puppet makers. This industry dates back to centuries.
Bentota is ideal holiday spot for watersports and boat trips on the river. Its broad sandy beach with calm sea offer safe swimming, making it one of the ideal Sri Lankan destinations for a traditional family holiday.